SHOP    •    PINK RIBBON    •    About Us

July 19, 2013

A Novice Account: Soap Making 101

I am not an expert, but I am always willing to try some new recipes. Soap making, ooh~that’s a different story. But may I say I am an expert try-er. That’s not a word you would find in a dictionary, but for the sake of blogging, let’s use it!

Lavender is known to have its benefits and cure. Its soothing aroma helps alleviate insomnia. 
It is also known for its anti-septic and anti-inflammatory effects ~ for boils,
 blemishes, fever blisters, to name a few.

After visiting the lavender farm,  I was inspired to experiment some simple recipes I found online.  I am also a visual learner, having a video demonstration does help but I applied some variations.

Most of the ingredients I used (including herbal oils) came from the Lavender Farm.
 You can check online for a variety of products.


(photo taken at Lavender Hollow Farm)




Rose Clay






Lavender-Rose Soap Recipe

For Infusion:
1/4 C Lavender Flowers
1 C Water
Simmer for 10 minutes, lightly covered and let sleep overnight

3 C glycerin soap or castile soap
1/4 C infusion of lavender flowers
Add 1 1/2 teaspoon lavender oil (may use in place of olive or almond oil as shown on video)
1 1/2 teaspoon rose oil
Colorant (Rose Clay - to give the pink look)
Steel cut oatmeal (optional, as shown on video) 
Dried lavender flowers and rose buds for decoration topping

Combine melted soap base and all the herbal ingredients, stir slowly in low heat until blended.  Pour into molds and cool.  

To get an authentic look, use a loaf mold (available here) or you can find it in Amazon.
For glycerine soap base or castile soap, just type these words in your search bar to choose a variety of products available online.

Though above recipe is the modified version of the video instructions, watching this video helps me understand the principles of soap making! Have fun!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome blog, and I really think that the pictures look nice. This is my blog http://universaltalkforyou.blogspot.com/, and it's basic since I just made it like a couple of days ago haha. I post about anything, but if you have suggestions what I should post, just tell me since I like feedback.